Chalkboard

Friday, September 13, 2013

Potty Training at 18 months

At 16 months, little Miss Destructonator was already showing signs of potty training readiness. I was back and forth with the idea of starting so young coz the way I see it was start at 18 months and take 6 months to be fully potty trained or wait 6 months and be fully potty trained in a week...

Well then I remembered that we have a big overseas trip coming up (more on this later). Sooo if she's ready then I will go ahead so that I won't have to worry about finding clean places to change her diaper. 

So I decided to be brave and just go with it. Bought cute little monkey underwears, printed potty charts and bought my sticker and candy bribe. 
 Then away we went. Home bound, butt naked, juice overload, paper towels ready and spray cleaner loaded for a whole entire week. 

Hyrum (and I) got cabin fever. Halia loved all the attention coz I never left her during that one week. The minute I loose her (cooking dinner or on the phone) she has an accident. Grrrr! After 3 days though, she started getting the point of catching it before it trickles out. So there was hope...

The next week I started getting more lenient on going out. We would only go to the park though so if she had an accident, it wouldn't be such a big deal. 

She hasn't had a lot of no.2 accidents so I'm really glad that she got that sorted out first. It's easier to clean up pee accidents than poops. She has never peed in her underwear (since starting potty training) during nap time or bedtime so I'm also really happy that night time potty training is out of the way. 
We only did 3 filled potty charts till she became uninterested.
So week two went great! A lot better than I expected...

In the beginning of third week, we are down to 2-3 accident a day. Then got 2 days of accident free!!! I was SOOO impressed!!! Then we went to Utah on Saturday...

I said that the ultimate test would be in Lagoon. I didn't want to put her in Pull-ups the whole day so during the car ride she was on it until we got to the theme park. As soon as we got there, I changed her into her underwear and hoped for the best! Only 2 accidents! Which I am still happy about coz the public toilets were big, loud, bright and kinda intimidating for a potty training girl. 

This week marks week four and she is still doing great! She is in big girl underwear all day and all night now. Even all throughout church, trips to the park, grocery stores, out and about. She has accidents here and there, especially when she busy playing (or when we forget to ask for a while) so still not 100% there but we got three months away from the big trip so as long as she's ready by then, I am fine with it...

It isn't as bad of an experience as with Hy coz I think I am more patient, and more knowledgeable and more relaxed about it. I just hope that she doesn't regress like Hy did coz I don't think threatening to put her back on diapers wouldn't work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment