Chalkboard

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Lesson Learned

Potty training Hyrum 2 1/2 weeks after i gave birth to Halia was no easy task. It was frustrating, disgusting (poop accidents), time-consuming and just all around annoying.

But he was pretty much potty trained within a week and it made life A LOT easier not having to worry about his diapers.

Until about a two months ago (after 4months of already been officially potty trained) when he regressed. And he regressed BIG TIME! From having zero to two accidents a day to accidents after accidents after accidents.

I was LIVID!!!

And after a month of no improvements, I have had enough! I decided that back to diapers he shall go coz I am not cleaning another accident and repeating myself again on where pees and poops go.

I know that he understands me and I know that he knows where he is suppose to do his thing BUT I think he was doing it for attention and such.

So we went out to buy diapers the next day and realized how expensive they are. So we decided to finish up his pull-ups (it's like an underwear but with diaper like absorbency, for those that don't know) first since we have those at home already.

So the next day I got him in his pull-ups first thing in the morning instead of just normal underwear and a few minutes later I heard him rushing to his potty. I peaked in and sure enough he was in there peeing.

I thought, "what a fluke!" but NNNOOOO. He didn't have any poop accident and maybe only a couple of pees that day. And same goes for the days after that.

So with that I learned my lesson on how to parent my stubborn little soldier...

Nagging will get us no where. I need to trust him that he knows what he is meant to do and if I give him some independence (rather than breathing down his throat every 20 minutes) he will obey.

Let's all hope I remember to apply this lesson every day.

1 comment:

  1. i put jae back in diapers. :) just not worth the battle. 6 months later, we are ready to train him and i feel like he is able to communicate better with me. you're awesome, aissa! :)

    ReplyDelete